Join us on Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at The Fox & Feather Pub and Grill, where some local startups will present their products and business concepts. The aim of the event is to get these companies exposed and to provide them with valuable feedback that can help them tweak a product, improve the product roadmap, or simply get some words of encouragement that they’re doing an awesome job.
Come for the product demos and stay for the awesome networking, food, and drinks. There will be free appetizers and our partners at The Fox & Feather will provide attendees with a 10% discount on food and non-alcoholic drinks. We invite you to stick around for post-event networking and some potential hands-on technology demos! Anyone and everyone is welcome.
Date: Tuesday January 16th, 2018.
Time: doors open at 6:00 pm; presentations begins at 6:30 pm.
Registration (Free!): We request that you pre-register via Eventbrite, but it is not required to attend… https://www.eventbrite.com/e/capchi-event-startup-showcase-2018-tickets-41383013708
Join us at 6pm for complimentary appetizers and chats with like-minded friends. You’ll also get 10-percent off food and non-alcoholic drinks throughout the evening. Use #capchi if your tweeting or posting!
Meet our Startups
Cumulus Dental: a voice-activated dental assistant
Eighty-five percent of dental offices still use paper dental charts. Cumulus Dental was founded in 2013 with one vision: to improve dental care by creating efficiencies within dental practices. Though most dental offices in North America use digital dental office management systems (DOMS) for scheduling and financial transactions, as many as 85% of dental offices still use paper dental charts. Cumulus Dental created its flagship product—SmartChart—to improve practice productivity and patient care by reducing the administrative burden and potential for error of paper-based processes. SmartChart is a revolutionary 3D voice-activated dental charting system that increases charting speed, improves record accuracy, and enhances the patient experience.
- Dr. Marc Lamarre co-founded Cumulus Dental in 2013 with one vision: To improve dental care by creating efficiencies within dental practices. Though most dental offices in North America use digital dental office management systems (DOMS) for scheduling and financial transactions, as many as 85% of dental offices still use paper dental charts. Cumulus Dental created its flagship product—SmartChart—to improve practice productivity and patient care by reducing the administrative burden and potential for error of paper-based processes. SmartChart is a revolutionary 3D voice-activated dental charting system that increases charting speed, improves record accuracy, and enhances the patient experience.
- Chris Elliott has many years’ experience as an innovative web, mobile, and desktop software designer, as well as a developer, technologist, manager, and coordinator. He has developed advanced software, hardware, real-time and embedded systems with several established and start-up companies in the Ottawa area. Chris has extensive prototype and release version software development lifecycle experience. He is also a professor and principal investigator at Algonquin College in the Media and Design department, and works as a project manager and consultant in the college’s Applied Research and Innovation Department. Chris is passionate about HCI and UX and has taught advanced User Experience courses at Algonquin. Chris will be presenting with Dr. Marc Lamarre.
NightLight: an app and consulting service to reduce the risk of sexual assault at mass events
Sexual assaults are not uncommon at mass events such as festivals. NightLight Consultants offer deep expertise in the sexual assault domain and useful technologies, such as a mobile app for event attendees that can trigger a safety alert to security personnel who see a photo and the GPS location of a distressed person. Other technologies provide post-event information for media, security personnel, and event organizers. NightLight Consultants help festival, event and school organizers with reactive and proactive sexual assault response and prevention.
- Dr. Kari Samsel, founder of NightLight Consultants, is an Emergency Physician and Medical Director of the Sexual Assault and Partner Abuse Care Program at the Ottawa Hospital. She’s the only Canadian physician to hold specialized degrees in Emergency Medicine and Clinical Forensic Sciences. She is motivated by her research showing that 25% of sexually assaulted patients seen were from large events such as music festivals, frosh week and during major holidays.
Contextere: wearable AR systems for industrial maintenance workers
This is an application of augmented reality that is really compelling. Contextere is an industrial software company creating blue collar AI via machine learning. Without solutions, blue collar workers receive curated guidance via mobile and wearable devices which supports them in the performance of their tasks, making it safer and more efficient.
- Gabe Batstone has 20+ years of experience in software and technology development in the domains of aerospace, automotive, defense, and energy. He’s worked for NAVTEQ, CAE, and NGRAIN. Gabe has a BA in Geographic Information Systems and an MBA. He is contextere’s CEO.
Welbi: a smartwatch and app to care for loved ones
Caring for loved ones is at issue here. Welbi is a startup and an application that helps its users look after their at-risk aging parent. It uses existing wearables to analyze sleep, activity and heart rate patterns, and then notifies the user about changes in their parents’ habits.
- Elizabeth Audette-Bourdeau started her entrepreneurship journey at the age of 18 years old. She founded three startups: Camp Pulsion, AmbiZion, and Welbi. A graduate of the Telfer School of Management at Ottawa U., she is now working full time on Welbi. With the help of existing health devices, like Fitbit or iHealth, Welbi analyzes the habits and well-being of your loved one and notifies you when a change is detected. Welbi’s main objective is to help families keep their loved ones at home longer and to consequently keep them happier. Another application is for individuals to track their own health.
FillMyFridge: online grocery shopping
Online shopping is a hot topic these days. Since 2013, FillMyfridge provides easy, convenient, hands-free online grocery and liquor shopping and delivery via the web. It is on a mission to save you time for more happiness in its customers’ lives. It promises same-day deliveries anywhere in Ottawa and surrounding areas, quality produce and meat, and a no-questions-asked refund policy.
- Eli Ilatov is a co-founder of Fillmyfridge. He is an experienced software development manager, computer engineer and business expert. He studied Business Consulting and has an MBA from York University.
When and Where:
CapCHI (www.capchi.org) is a social and professional society of people who work as user interface designers, researchers, educators, software developers, web designers, graphic designers and human factors engineers in and around Canada’s National Capital Region. Founded in 1991, CapCHI’s goal is to bring together local professionals interested in how humans and computers interact, in a relaxed and informal atmosphere.