VP / Senior Director User Experience (Ottawa, Toronto)
The VP / Senior Director User Experience is the executive user experience advocate with 12-15+ years of experience that guides the creation of intentional experiences through conducting user experience strategy, research, testing and design for both Akendi internal and external clients. You strategize and problem solves to ensure that the work that is delivered to clients will meet project objectives, follows the Akendi process and inspires clients with perfectly executed user experience insights and solutions.
You guide a team of employees with skills and experience related to user experience research and design and other related industry fields and manages their projects to produce final outcomes that reflect positively on Akendi and our clients.
You are an ambassador for the Akendi brand and a key stakeholder in user centred UX research and design related decision-making, ensuring state of the art approaches, methods and assures the quality of Akendi user centred research, testing, information and interaction design.
You participate in the execution of UX research and UX design projects for websites, software interfaces, mobile interfaces, from kick-off to completion. You possess a deep understanding of user research techniques, information design and interaction design principles and approaches with core strengths in information plus interaction design and user research. You work with a deep understanding of user-centered research, strategy and innovation and how to apply it successfully to final user experiences.
You ensure that projects meet the requirements of the client and are completed on time and within budget while respecting client business goals as well as being responsible for maintaining day-to-day client relationships. You oversee the execution of projects from external vendors such as recruiters, freelancers, front end coders and coordinates estimates, scheduling, production and delivery of final deliverables of these vendors.
You participate in delivering Akendi’s training courses related to UX, as well as in making recommendations for changes or updates to the training curriculum and program
Desired Skills & Experience
- 12-15+ years of experience in UX Research, IA and Interaction Design
- Contribute to development of “best in class” UX research and design services
- Manage user experience team, project planning and work flow
- Worked in a consulting environment
- Manage day-to-day responsibility to user experience team and outside vendors as required
- Plan and estimate effort for projects
- Contribute to blog writing
- Deal with conflict management and resolution
- Responsible for the proper application of UCD principles, Akendi’s Experience Thinking process, and other components to create innovative user experiences that meet customer, business and user needs
- Be fully knowledgeable and conversant in user centered design methodologies and how the Akendi experience thinking process fits with UCD
- Provide quality assurance of research and design deliverables
- Contribute to the development of the user experience team’s culture and quality standards
- Elevate the level of the work coming out of the user experience team
- Educate project teams from other disciplines on the user centered design process and its value
- Communicate the user centred approach, process, value and experience thinking to clients
- Be an Akendi user experience ambassador
- Take a supporting role in Akendi’s UX training program, creating curriculum, course materials
- Manage partner relationships
- Limited project travel as required (5-10%)
- Manage multiple deadlines and conflicting priorities
- Deliver UX training courses and make recommendations for curriculum updates
- 10+ years of working in the UX field, 5+ yrs as a people manager, ie. managing a team of 7+ people
- Advanced degree (Masters, PhD) in UX related discipline, including:
- Cognitive science
- Computer science
- Human Computer Interaction
- Human Factors
Akendi is a user research, user experience design & product strategy firm. We are passionate about the creation of intentional experiences – whether those involve digital products, physical products, mobile, service or bricks-and-mortar interactions. We work shoulder-to-shoulder to improve the experiences companies deliver.
Please send your resume to humanresources [at] akendi.com
Thank you to all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.