Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Do you want to work for a company where you don’t have to spend time defending the value of user research because it’s already a part of the process? Do you thrive in ever-changing environments and prefer to work on multiple, complex projects at once? Are you interested in working with a team of extremely talented UX designers and researchers as your peers?
If so, SolarWinds might be the right place for you. At SolarWinds we’re focused on making easy-to-use software for IT professionals. We’re looking for a Senior UX Researcher to join our team to conduct user research that informs product decisions and helps us create the best experiences for our users.
- Work with designers, product managers and other stakeholders to understand and develop research goals.
- Create testing/interview scripts and coordinate recruiting and session scheduling.
- Lead remote user feature walkthroughs, usability sessions and “Show me how you use it” interviews.
- Conduct online surveys and card sorts using tools like SurveyGizmo, OptimalSort and TreeJack.
- Synthesize data and quickly share findings and insights with teams in order to inform product design and development decisions.
- Help to continuously prioritize and recommend research opportunities to the team in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Participate in business and UI reviews with multi-disciplinary product teams.
- Advocate the voice of the customer and be a bridge between the end users and the rest of the company.
- Conduct recruiting activities to help grow the pool of users the UX research team talks to.
- Share research knowledge and mentor junior researchers/designers.
- Minimum BA/BS or MS degree in Cognitive Psychology, HCI/d, Human Centered Computer, Information Science, or related field.
- 5+ years of experience conducting user research for software products, web applications and/or complex websites.
- Track record of using multiple user research methods (usability testing, interviews, surveys, focus groups, contextual inquiry) and knowledge of when best to use them.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (we’ll ask for examples of how you’ve presented and shared actionable insights in the past).
- Strategic thinking around user needs and how they impact the business.
- Collaborative nature; ability to work with remote teams comprised of members in different locations across the globe and in different organizations in the company.
- Proactivity and ability to take initiative to ensure necessary research is conducted and followed through on.
- Ability to recommend design changes to fix usability issues.
- Ability to prioritize when juggling multiple projects.
- Wireframing and prototyping experience (Sketch, Axure, InVision, Photoshop or Illustrator).
- Familiarity with quantitative research and statistics.
- Background working with IT management software and users.
- Understanding of Lean, Agile, Scrum or similar product development approaches.
- Experience working in enterprise software space