Ever wonder what is going on at the leading edge of technology and user experience research and design in Ottawa? Well here’s your chance to see some exciting new companies show off their wares at CapCHI’s Startup Showcase!
Date: Tuesday January 17th, 2017
Time: doors open at 6:00 pm; presentations begins at 6:30 pm
Place: Upstairs room (3rd floor) at The Fox & Feather Pub and Grill, located at 283 Elgin St, Ottawa, ON, Canada (foxandfeather.ca).
Registration (Free!): We request that you pre-register via Eventbrite, but it is not required to attend… https://www.eventbrite.com/e/capchi-event-startup-showcase-tickets-30565972647.
Join us on Tuesday, January 17th at The Fox & Feather Pub and Grill, where some local startups will present their products and business concepts to a distinguished panel of UX specialists and entrepreneurs. The aim of the event is to get these companies exposed and to provide them with valuable feedback that can help them tweak a product, improve the product roadmap, or simply get some words of encouragement that they’re doing an awesome job.
Come for the product demos and stay for the awesome networking, food, and drinks. Doors open at 6:00pm for networking and the event starts at 6:30pm. There will be free appetizers and our partners at The Fox & Feather will provide attendees with a 10 percent discount on food and non-alcoholic drinks. We invite you to stick around for post-event networking and some potential hands-on technology demos!
Meet our Startups
Branch is an innovative technology company that specializes in proximity messaging and data capturing. Their proximity-based platform uses Bluetooth beacons to deliver contextual information to smartphone users. The branch mobile application, available for free on the App store, helps users learn about the places and people around them. Branch adapts to a variety of beacon services and includes an Analytics Dashboard that offers insights into real-time customer behaviour in the physical store. (www.branchapp.ca)
- Ahmed El Mahrakawy, Co-Founder/CEO, will present Branch’s products. He is a strategic, multidisciplinary designer & creative director with an eye for innovation and pixel perfection. Before starting Branch, Ahmed and his co-founder, Brandon, launched and sold Emploid; an automated employee-scheduling platform. Ahmed is currently working towards an MBA emphasizing IT.
Else is a startup aiming to empower people to live a more balanced life, by making the cooking experience more healthy, rewarding and simple. Oliver is Else’s flagship product. It is a smart and automatic cooking device that empowers user to simplify their life, discover new foods and eat more healthily. See this cooker prepare a pasta meal. (http://elselabs.io/)
- Khalid Aboujassoum is Founder and CEO at Else. Prior to starting Else, Khalid worked in product development as a software engineer. He holds a BASc in Computer Engineering with an Engineering Management Option.
InteractiveStudios builds engaging omni-channel solutions for modern facility owners and management companies. Their products help individuals and management get to know the great indoors. For users they provide large interactive directories; for facilitiy owners and management they provide applications to collect and analyze indoor activity. (http://www.interactivestudios.ca/)
- Colin A. Pritchard, Chief Operating Officer (COO) of InteractiveStudios Inc. He is a professional graphic designer and serial entrepreneur. He leads the creative team at InteractiveStudios Inc. designing interactive UI’s for their touchscreen kiosks. Colin worked throughout Southeast Asia on global supply chain strategies over 6 months in the summer of 2016. He recently completed a masters of engineering degree in technology innovation management.
SimWave is an interactive digital media development company based in Ottawa, Ontario. Focusing on innovative and ground-breaking projects, SimWave has developed a multi-sensory virtual reality (VR) booth that acts as a vehicle to experience VR games or experiences. The booth is equipped with a rumbling floor, bursts of air/wind, heat, cold, and smell. As of right now, SimWave is developing a Vimy Ridge WWI VR experience, an old Steam Locomotive VR experience, and a Human Anatomy VR experience. SimWave has also developed a 20-person interactive theatre that can be experienced in North America and Europe. (www.simwave.ca)
- Matt Thomas, Head of Business Development, has an extensive background in management and entrepreneurship which reaches back to when he was only 16. After creating a viral YouTube channel that reached 60 million views, he began producing, directing and managing high-scale video productions at his own video company, Trending Media. Now Matt has brought his high production techniques and innovative thinking to SimWave to develop and acquire new business and handle all of our exceptional clients.
- Adam Caithness, Chief Financial Officer, brings over five years of management and financial experience to the SimWave team. During this time he has acquired countless research and development projects, resulting in over a million dollars’ worth of R&D grants and funding. He has a strong background in finance as well as an aptitude for tech and military simulation. Adam ensures SimWave remains a prominent force in the ever-changing industry of tech and that SimWave runs as an automated system.
Tumello helps podcasts listeners easily discover and listen to curated and subscribed podcasts across multiple devices based on the topics that interest them.
- Joel Kapongo is the co-founder & CEO of Tumello. When he is not working on programming, designing, or promoting Tumello, he is tucked away somewhere reading, listening to podcasts, or playing music.
Panel of Experts
Stephen Davis is a program lead at Invest Ottawa, a non-profit organization that partners with the City of Ottawa to set the strategy and manage the programs that are critical to moving Ottawa’s economy forward. Stephen provides critical advice to businesses in their early stages of development. Stephen‘s advice comes from a wealth of experience. He’s an entrepreneur with an extensive marketing background, a system’s engineer, and a software architect with 25-30 years of experience. Bringing all of these talents to the table he has been the Chief Technology Officer or CEO for half a dozen Startups. Oh and he’s a qualified yoga instructor and triathlete too!
David Mann is CEO of inBay Technologies Inc., an Ottawa based multi-factor authentication company. After leaving Nortel in 2001, David formed his own consultancy company focused on executive mentoring, actively advising Canada’s leading researchers in the futures of cyber-security, web network evolution and the rapidly changing market of smart web based applications. David was named professional of the Year in April 2015 by Worldwide Branding for Excellence in Technology Consulting.
Jonathan Segel leads the global Radio and Mobile Network Innovation group at Nokia. With over 35 years in the high tech industry he has managed the creation of multiple new telecommunication products and services in a diversity of subdomains. He has provided direction for startups, done due diligence for start-up acquisitions. Within Nokia, Jonathan is known for his innovative ideas. Jonathan has numerous patents, and broad experience across the business, marketing, and innovation spectrum.
When and Where:
CapCHI (www.capchi.org) is a social and professional society of people who work as user interface designers, researchers, educators, software developers, web designers, graphic designers and human factors engineers in and around Canada’s National Capital Region. Founded in 1991, CapCHI’s goal is to bring together local professionals interested in how humans and computers interact, in a relaxed and informal atmosphere.